Sunday 1 June 2008

Sewing Machines - why oh why?

Why is it when I get my sewing machine out I have absolutely no idea whether it will work like a dream for me or simply refuse to get going?

I have a relatively basic Silver 302, chosen for me by my dad, when I asked him for a sewing machine c6 year's ago for my birthday. Before I could go to John Lewis to get some advice, he'd found some online sewing machine shop and ordered it!!! I of course wanted an all singing all dancing, computerised one with the clever embroidery functions, but I'm pretty sure they would have been out of the budget. But all in all I'm happy with my machine, as it does what I need it to do, so far.

But I was wondering do other people have my trouble? Or should I be cleaning it out after every project?

Or is it that my machine is basic so it is what it is, and if you use a more high spec'd machine you get less trouble? All advice and comments welcome. Please let me know what make and model you have.

6 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Just found your blog thought I would drop in!

I bought a new sewing machine about 2yrs ago, in fact I went "down a machine as it were!". It all started about 30yrs ago when I moved out of my parents home to in with boyfriend (now husband)I paid for it on HP (Higher Purchase) it was an original Toyota. Did everthing except go out and purchase the material! Over the years it was a abused and it was really heavy to lift. Then one day I went to make a quilt and it kept knotting the thread underneath so I thought an overhaul is needed. Found a sewing machine dealer who dealt with Toyota Sewing machines, he was happy to look at it and give me an estimate. He rang to say he couldn't get a part any longer so I had to buy a new one! Secretly I wanted to buy a new machine anyway and here was my opportunity! I purchased a Toyota RS2000 2D Series, it is actually used in the local schools here so my theory is if it is suitable for youngseters to use it is suitable for ME!

Tina said...

I have a Pfaff Performance 2056. I haven't used it much in the last 2 months. The last year and a half I used it about 4 days a week. No problems. It comes through for me ever time. I don't clean mine after ever project. This one doesn't need to be oiled. I do take out the lint with one of those compressed air cans (for comps)after every other project. I love my machine! It's a workhorse that never lets me down. I hope I didn't just ginks myself and now it's going to break down.

craftyclaire said...

Thank you for your advice, I don't really want to buy a new machine but just wondered am I not maintaining it as well as I should, not that the manual mentions that, or am I expecting too much from it!!

KC'sCourt! said...

I clean when the fluff has built up. Usually in the bobbin area but I just pick it out with my fingers. I must say I don't do it regularly though only when I see the fluff.

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire, My first machine was a Kenmore and while it sewed okay, it wasn't until I got my Bernina that I realized how much time I had been wasting on trouble-shooting. Mainly because I would finish a project and look at the clock and realize it took WAY less time than when I used my Kenmore. Berninas are pricey, though. Maybe you could take it in for a tune up - it cost about $60 on my Kenmore. I tuned it up before I gave it to my sewing student.

craftyclaire said...

I am beginning to think that the old adage is true "you get what you pay for!".

It's hard to know the investment level when I'm an infrequent sewer, but part of that is down to the unreliability of my machine!! Viscious circle!