Sunday 14 September 2008

oat snap


A few years ago, one Sunday, I was reading the Observer, and one of the first sections I looked at was the magazine and Nigel Slater's column. That particular week was themed around oats (I think) and I read the ingredients, lept up, went to my kitchen and immediately made the Oat Snaps. Less than 20 minutes later I was getting the biscuits out of the oven. I was quite simply taken over, and HAD to make them there and then.
This out of the ordinary behaviour made me send Nigel a thank you email. And he was so nice, he replied! Anyway, here is the recipe, they are delicious. They do have Golden Syrup in, and I don't believe there is anything else like it in the world! They are v easy to make and very delicious, and almost healthy if it weren't for the butter and golden syrup!.
Oat snaps
Light as a feather, sweet oat cookies, a cross between a brandy snap and an oat biscuit. They will spread and form loose shapes in the oven, and need a gentle hand to get them to the cooling rack. Makes 15.

150g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
100g rolled oats
115g plain flour
85g caster sugar
a level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp boiling water
Set the oven at 165C/Gas 3.
Cut the butter into chunks and melt with the golden syrup in a small saucepan.
In a mixing bowl, stir the oats, flour and caster sugar together.
Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiling water and stir it into the butter and syrup. It will froth a little. Now stir it into the flour and oats and mix thoroughly.
Using a dessertspoon, place mounds of the mixture on to a baking sheet, several centimetres apart. Flatten them slightly, then bake for 8 minutes, until the biscuits have spread, and are deep gold around the edges, slightly lighter at the centre. Remove them from the oven and let them cool a little before you move them to a cooling rack.
They will keep for a few days in a baking tin, but are best eaten the same day.
The whole lot was gone and I had to snatch a photo of the last one, hence it beig out of focus!! It's now eaten!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm sound gorgeous.

Hen said...

Oh my, these sound yummy. And surely v healthy, all those oats?! How lovely of him to reply; I do like Nige.
Hen x