Tuesday 29 March 2011

my perfect rice pudding


I grew up eating Ambrosia Rice Pudding (the tinned stuff) and that to me, was for a long time, is how rice pudding should taste! (My husband would KILL me to hear me say that!)

On and off over the last decade I've been making homemade rice pudding. Every recipe is slightly different. But the other day, I think I nailed it. I combined the best elements from a few recipes.

So this is my rice pudding, that is still moist, with the rice in a lovely sweet vanilla milk and nutmeg on top.

ingredients::

90g pudding rice
700ml milk (I used semi skimmed)
30g caster sugar
0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
butter
nutmeg

Oven proof dish
150 deg C

method::

Pre heat oven to 150 deg C.
Put pudding rice in bottom of your ovenproof dish. Add your vanilla extract and sugar to your milk, give a quick stir. Pour milk mixture into dish on top of rice. Make sure rice is spread out evenly in your dish. Dot small pieces of butter over dish (just 4 or 5 small pieces). Now grate fresh nutmeg all over the top of dish.

I put my ovenproof dish on top of a baking tray to catch any spillages. Now put in oven for 2-2.5hrs. After 30mins, give everything a stir. Some people try and keep the nutmeg on top when doing this, which is quite tricky, my husband thinks stiring the top back into the mixture improves it. Then stir again around the 1-1.5 hour mark. If you think it's going to dry out keep an eye on it. (aim between 2 or 3 stirs) And I would be prepared to add some more milk if you are concerned about it drying out. I tested mine at the 2hour mark and the rice was done, so I removed it from the oven and served it up.

Variations::
You may prefer it slightly sweeter, in that case increase sugar by 5-10g max
If you prefer it richer, use single or double cream for some of the milk.

Do you have a perfect rice pudding recipe? Let's share!


No comments: