Sunday 20 April 2008

Learning new things all the time

Yesterday I attended a knitting workshop at Purl. The workshop was all about finishing techniques, and was so helpful. I learned so much, and even the experienced knitters in the group also learned new skills, so I think it was great for everyone. Also Debbie, the shop owner kept us going in teas, coffees, cakes and biscuits, plus lunch. So everyone had the best time. It was 10-4pm and 6 bhours raced by. My head was a bit groggy towards the end of it (do I do a knit stitch, is it a purl?) but the lady next to me kept helping me, she was very kind.


I learned how to do a neckline, decrease (where to drop the stitches for a nice look) and how to pick up stitches to do the ribbed neckline. The rib at the bottom I totally mucked up, and I've got all sorts of things going on in there!!!


I also learned how to do a 3 needle bind off, which I'd never seen before, but it certainly gives a nice finish.

Plus the mattress stitch.

Now you see it:












Now you don't!














Plus how to do a cable cast on and make a buttonhole. Ta dah!:















The teacher works for Rowan, and she was great. Plus we got really clear handouts, so when I no doubt forget half of it I can read those and look at my samples that I made!

Now I have requests for jumpers from my husband and my sister, but they've got a long wait, as my skull and cross bones pattern is taking ages, although the intarsia is fun!

No comments: