Friday 29 October 2010

feet

I am lucky enough to have plenty of sewing machine feet that came with my machine, Janome DC4100. These include:

  • Standard Foot
  • Automatic Buttonhole Foot
  • Blind Hem Foot
  • Overedge Foot
  • Satin Stitch Foot
  • Embroidery / Free Motion Quilting Foot
  • Zipper Foot E
  • 3 Way Cording Foot
  • Beading Foot Set
  • Custom Crafted Foot ( Open Toe )
  • Ribbon / Sequin Foot
Now time to be honest, do I use all of these? To be fair I've given most a go. I still can't work out how to do a blind hem, so that needs mastering. The 4 bottom ones were "bonus" feet but they have not come in handy. I think I might have used the ribbon foot, but that is limited to quite a narrow ribbon.

I mainly use the standard foot, overedge foot, automatic buttonhole, zipper foot and for the odd bit of decoration the satin stitch foot. If I do free motion quilting that foot will be used too. Apart from my first quilt, I've done stitch in the ditch or straight line quilting.

Every now and then I look at the feet that I could have! I'm usually inspired by something I've read somewhere.

On my list of interesting feet are:

1/4 inch seam foot, perfect every time! £13

An Ultraglide ( Teflon) foot for oilcloth? £24.50

A circular attachment - this most excites me although it's £39. I think this would be great for quilting and embellishing things I make. Plus you can use all different stitch settings with it.

Ditch Quilting Foot for stitching in the ditch. If I did more quilting I would consider this, as it's nice to be accurate for a more professional look. £13

Ruffler - although I'm trying to not make clothes at the mo, as I'm never that happy, shopping is more fun with my time restricted time.

I might ask for the circular foot for Xmas. Are there any feet that you find invaluable? Do share!

No comments: